Canada’s Bio-Revolution Webinar Series – New Frontiers in Food Production: Growing Stronger with Cellular Agriculture
GIFS is pleased to partner with Ontario Genomics, as it hosts the second installment of its Canada SynBio Webinar Series entitled “Canada’s Bio-Revolution”. This event is taking place in partnership with the Arrell Food Institute and Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute as part of their Growing Stronger initiative.
The online panel will focus on the future of Canada’s food system and how it can benefit from new technologies, including cellular agriculture (using cells to make food products, e.g. meat, dairy, eggs, alternative proteins, ingredients) and the role they can play in creating “made-in-Canada” solutions for a more resilient food supply chain in a post-COVID world.
This much-needed conversation will bring together diverse voices and perspectives from across the value chains of leading Canadian experts – researchers, industry, funders and advocates, to generate collaboration and amplify new ideas.
- The current state of play for cellular agriculture,
- The opportunities and potential barriers,
- How genomics/engineering biology can help and how this can contribute to sustainability.
Of special interest is how these new technologies can be synergistic with traditional approaches to feed people in Canada and abroad. The outputs from this discussion will input into the draft policy recommendations put forth by the Growing Stronger initiative and inform the food security pillar of Can-DESyNe, Canada’s DNA Engineering Systems Network.
Opening Remarks: Dr. Bettina Hamelin, President & CEO, Ontario Genomics and Chair, National Engineering Biology Steering Committee.
Panel: Moderated by Dr. Steven Webb, Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, the Global Institute for Food Security, Member of National Engineering Biology Steering Committee.
- Maria Pepe, Vice President, Research & Development, Lactalis,Canada/Parmalat
- Isha Datar, Executive Director, New Harvest
- Dr. Ralph Christian Delos Santos, CEO & Co-Founder Biofect Innovations.
- Dr. Lenore Newman, Canada Research Chair, Food Security and Environment, University of the Fraser Valley
Closing Remarks: Dr. Bettina Hamelin, President & CEO, Ontario Genomics and Chair, National Engineering Biology Steering Committee
Online webinar: Zoom