- Partner with the Business Lead to develop and promote the OPAL research services and innovation capabilities to support business development activities with established and prospective academic and industry partners; encourage and facilitate industry interactions, including research engagements.
- Promote engagement of services provincially, nationally, and internationally across the bioscience community with institutional partners, collaborators, and external clients.
- Manage the employee career cycle through activities such as: recruitment, retention and separations, orientation, and onboarding, coaching and performance feedback, supporting professional growth, training, and development, managing performance, and addressing disciplinary matters.
- Manage the implementation of programs, activities, and systems to support the delivery of optimal services to both internal and external researchers, partner organizations, collaborators, and clients.
- Create, optimize, and manage workflows to meet internal and external requests, focusing on high-quality, high throughput.
- Lead by example with a commitment to continuous improvement and GIFS values.
- Establish and manage lab processes.
- Negotiate and monitor fee for service agreements.
- Work with the Business Development team in identifying funding opportunities; provide technical review and support for developing co-funding for grant submissions and funding opportunities to support the growth of the Platform and GIFS.
- Collect, analyze, and synthesize data related to overall performance.
- Facilitate communication among clients, the research community, and key stakeholders.
- Identify strategic alliance partners and develop long-term, sustainable relationships.
- Foster and promote a culture of innovation by dedicating time for innovation within the platform.
- Participate in the Scientific Executive Committee (SEC) and help in defining, supporting, and implementing scientific and strategic direction for the Institute.
- Other accountabilities as assigned.
PhD or master’s degree in a relevant subject area such as, plant sciences, genomics, or agronomy
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the technical management of operations in a life sciences laboratory.
- Experience with project management, product development, and/or innovation projects, ideally in the ag biotechnology ecosystem.
- Experience leading and developing teams.
- Experience with research funding models and processes.
- Industry-focused business development and/or marketing experience along with a strong understanding of both academic and industry environments is highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in building relationships with diverse constituencies and negotiating commercial agreements.
- The ideal candidate will have direct experience in the bridging research to industry and the ability to bring the results of scientific research to the marketplace.
- A proven leader and innovative problem solver capable of overcoming challenging and complex issues in a fast-paced environment and growing market.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to convey complex technical ideas to non-specialist audiences.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively within a high achieving team environment.
- Sound judgment, discretion, diplomacy, and professional integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and present information with attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
Department: Global Inst for Food Security
Status: Term 5 years with the possibility of extension
Employment Group: Research
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Posted Date: 11/25/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled.
Number of Openings: 1
Remote Status: Yes – Temporarily due to COVID-19
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where ‘Yes’ is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver’s License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
The University of Saskatchewan has instated a number of health and safety requirements for faculty, staff and students in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic. As of January 4, 2022, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and proof of vaccination will be required. The University will consider accommodations requests for individuals in accordance with the requirements of the The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code, 2018.