The Global Institute for Food Security (GIFS) is a rapidly expanding Institute based at the University of Saskatchewan. Our Vision is a world where everyone has access to safe and nutritious food. This is a bold vision, one that we will strive to achieve through investing in out talent. In line with our Mission, we will work with our employees, partners and stakeholders to discover, develop and deliver innovative solutions for the production of globally sustainable food.
We are guided by our Values of: Innovation. Excellence. Collaboration. Integrity. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Primary Purpose: To provide program/platform management and business development expertise in the implementation of multi-disciplinary research programs and technology platforms at GIFS.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Director of Business Development, you will provide program/platform management and business development expertise working in collaboration with scientific leaders in the Programs and Platforms at GIFS. You will play a key role in implementing and advancing the strategic plan. You will act as a catalyst for change, inspiring and advising others but listening to and understanding their needs. You will lead through influence illustrating the value program/platform management and business development expertise can bring to the programs and platforms within GIFS. You will be required to develop strong collaborative working relationships, working effectively, both independently and as a team member. You will exercise discretionary decision making in an environment where agility, speed and focus are essential to achieving milestones, deliverables, and outcomes. You will foster a work atmosphere that is collaborative, positive, supportive, responsive, and transparent.
This position requires a high level of energy, competence and innovation. You will possess strong analytical skills, excellent project management skills, and well-rounded communication skills. The successful candidate will work under pressure in a fast-paced, self-directed and team-oriented environment where competing demands require the ability to prioritize, focus and work under tight project timelines. Occasional after-hours or travel will be required.
You understand the values, culture, challenges and operational needs of GIFS. You understand the interconnectedness of GIFS and the impact changes and operations have on all the platforms, programs, clients and overall reputation of GIFS. You demonstrate a strong safety acumen. You develop and maintain strong long-lasting relationships.
- Participates in the overall success of the Program/Platform, accountable to the Institute Management Team and external stakeholders.
- Provides expertise using PMI best practices to carry the Program/Platform through to successful completion, ensuring efficiency and timely implementation.
- Engages and informs executive sponsors, sponsors, and key stakeholders on progress and prepares reports and metrics, as necessary.
- Supports and participates in organizational change management (OCM).
- Establishes and manages the baseline (schedule, scope, budget) utilizing all relevant inputs, identifying, and managing risks and recommending changes as needed.
- Participates in the preparation and oversight of the project budgets, coordinating with the Director of Finance to ensure responsible use of funds, as necessary.
- Provide project management leadership and training to the project leaders.
- Track research progress (activities, milestones, deliverables) via a Gantt chart, and advise the research chair/team of the progress towards meeting goals.
- Working with the Program/Platform leaders maintains an awareness of resources and interacts with partners both within and beyond GIFS.
- Participate (support and advise) in project meetings
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, stewardship, and alignment with GIFS information release and information management system.
- Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of GIFS and aligned with the strategic plan.
- Contribute to a respectful, collaborative, and productive culture.
- Acts as a link between the Program/Platform, the business, and the Institute Management Team.
- Identify and participate in industrial collaboration, commercialization, and funding opportunities for the program/platform.
- Provide updates to IMT, the GIFS Board, ISAP, and GAP, as required.
- Develop program communication materials suitable for inclusion in websites, pamphlets, presentations, and reports, working collaboratively with the Director, Communications.
- Degree (BSc, MSc and /or PhD) in biology, chemistry or computer science, is required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience working in a complex multi-disciplinary research program.
- A minimum of five years of project management experience.
- Experience articulating vision, developing stakeholder needs, facilitating dialogue, managing conflict, and building effective, and cooperative working relationships with teams and partnerships in a broad range of constituents.
- Experience in providing expert advice and counsel to scientific leaders.
- Experience in producing and maintaining project schedules, business cases, or other required documents and presentations
- Experience working with external consultants and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and consensus building skills, highly organized with polished presentation, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated with the proven ability to be self-directed and thrives in a dynamic environment.
- A track record of delivering superior results, developing respect in previous organizations via collaborative and team based working styles while meeting demanding timelines.
- Strong influencing, communication, negotiation, and advocacy skills, with the ability to gain commitment.
- A deep commitment to enacting equity, diversity, inclusion.
- Sound judgment, discretion, diplomacy, and professional integrity.
- A skilled communicator with the ability to establish and maintain effective, respectful relationships to ensure a culture of collaboration.
- Strong business and technical acumen with experience advancing innovations from the lab bench to the market.
- Ability to gather, track, analyze, and present information utilizing advanced features in Microsoft Office, MS Project and Adobe Illustrator.
- Ability to discuss, understand and advise researchers on planning, organization, direction and control of science and technology management.
- Ability to identify issues and then develop and implement innovative and outcomes-oriented solutions.
Department: Global Inst for Food Security
Status: Term 2 years with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Employment Group: ASPA
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $81,037.00 – 134,978.00 per annum. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable):
Salary Phase/Band: Phase 3
Posted Date: 11/24/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled.
Number of Openings: 2
Remote Status: Yes – Temporarily due to COVID-19
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where ‘Yes’ is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver’s License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
The University of Saskatchewan has instated a number of health and safety requirements for faculty, staff and students in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic. As of January 4, 2022, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and proof of vaccination will be required. The University will consider accommodations requests for individuals in accordance with the requirements of The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code, 2018.
The University believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.